Friday 28 June 2013

Pre-Trip/First Post


(The purpose of this blog/journal is  for me to be able to process my own thoughts and document them, but to also allow my friends and family to follow me through my travels.  It’s an interesting feeling being so disconnected from everyone so far away, and this is an easy way to feel like I am sharing my experiences with everyone all at once.  While some posts will be copied from my personal journal, some of it may be edited. Some posts may simply be posts to communicate with friends and family.  This is the first time I have shared such personal thoughts, but I thought doing so itself would be a fun, growing, experience.  Anyway,  here goes...)

This is the beginning of my journal that will document the next month that I can already sense will be life changing and have an incomparable impact on who I am, how I see the world, and how my decisions will be made in the coming years.  I have an inclination that I will look back at this time of my life as a defining period, a cornerstone.  I chose to begin my journal today because this inner feeling of great things happening has been solidified and reinforced by a day spent surrounded by those that I love; those that have been beside me along the way that has led me to this moment. 

The date is Sunday, June 23rd, 12:31 AM and I have just settled back into my apartment in New York City after an emotional ride in my Silver Toyota Camry with the moon (Supermoon to be precise) roof down, windows down, and fantastically soulful tunes way, way up.  My best friends, or extended family, Taryn and Mike, were of course in the car ride back with me from Jersey (drunk, duh) because they didn’t want me to drive back to the city by myself.  When I arrived at my parents’ house in Gillette for this “surprise” party, turned not so surprise party, I was greeted by a room in which the only word that could come to mind after spending 1 minute in that room, is loving.  My parents had just finished hosting my Dad’s cousins, my Aunt Nancy and Uncle Bob, Uncle Greg and his girlfriend Bing, for a family gathering that I can only imagine lasted until at least 4 A.M. and they had stuck around to see me before they went on their way.  It was great being in the presence of such genuinely warm, loving, family whom I remember from when I was a young boy.  I remember as a young kid following my cousins around at the Chu-Lee reunions at my Pau Pau (Chinese for grandmother) and Goong Goong’s (Chinese for grandfather) house in Flemington, NJ.  The warm, summer weather was the same today as it was years ago, and the feeling of great laughter and connections with family was the same, but the times have changed.   

While change sometimes carry with it a negative connotation, at least for me because with change comes fear and uncertainty, this night was a send off by my family for a change that I know will be only for the better.  I leave for South Africa in 3 days and I wanted to document a few things that I remember from today before I embark on this journey:

1.     My mother said to me some important things: She was proud of me for what I have accomplished, with the program I am about to begin with NYU, because she said it would make her mom and dad so proud and make all the sacrifices and hard times they endured worth it.  This to me holds enormous significance as it reminded me that I am not but one person, but I am a part of a larger unit; I was reminded that I was, in a sense, a continuation of the lives of those before me.  I am a result of their hard work, their tough times, their sacrifices.  This is a blessing that holds a responsibility.  In a way, I am responsible for upholding the dreams and hopes of the family before me.  Anything less than that would prove disappointing to those before me and not make the sacrifices worth it.  This gave me great strength and purpose as I look forward to my journey to South Africa.
---(edited)

Needless to say, I am beyond excited about this upcoming Trip to South Africa...


No comments:

Post a Comment