Friday 28 June 2013

Day 1- Waterfront Walking

 The first thing I noticed when walking around the waterfront is that I felt like I was in England with more sun and a more beautiful landscape.  Maybe it's because this is the first time studying abroad since London so that excitement of studying abroad kicked in, or maybe it's because the accents are so similiar, or maybe it's because half of the people I encountered were actually Brits on "holiday."  Whatever the reason may be, I can put my money on the fact that this town is a tiny view of a success story of Africa.  I saw a gorgeous waterfront mall with over 40 stores (including a McDonald's of course), fantastic restaurants, this ferris wheel, boats, beer halls, etc.  Even better the South African Rand is currently at a 1:10 exchange rate with the dollar, which makes converting easy (Move the decimal place over 1 spot: 25 rands is $2.50.)

While this vacation spot was very relaxing, beautiful, and full of genuinely nice people, I look forward to getting to know South Africa better by hearing and learning of their struggles and accomplishments once the program starts (which by the way is called Education and Social Reforms).  3-4 of my friends/classmates arrive tomorrow and the program officially starts in 2 days.
 Awesomely energetic African dancers and singers I saw when I first got to the waterfront, a few minutes walk from my hotel.  I love the sound of the African languages, but unsure which of the 11 official languages of South Africa these singers were expressing. 
 Figured I should take a picture of myself---ya know, just to prove I'm not sitting in New York stealing these pictures from Google.
Beautiful sunset by the water.  The Canadian man I shared a cab with from the airport told me the last time he was in South Africa, the waterfront was not built up, but many Europeans and Americans are coming to develop on the waterfront because of the exchange rate and growing South African economy.  He also pointed out on the side of the highway a long stretch of houses, which can be compared to ghettos that were basically shacks.  He told me last time he was here they were selling meat on tables even though they had no access to refrigeration.  He noticed that this time around, these "ghettos" had electricity.  Interesting to already see the dichotomy of two very different worlds in one. 

3 comments:

  1. What a cool first day!! Hopefully next on your list is finding out where those African dancers got those sweet leopard print tanks. They're badass!
    Can't wait for you to explore some more. And what a place to be in for when Nelson Mandela passes - side note. I can't imagine what the vibe of the city will be like.
    Good luck and stay safe. Please don't eat any ghetto meat... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful! I know I'm late to the game but I'm reading your posts now and have kept up with you on fb, it looks like you're having an amazing time! This experience will definitely be life-changing, I'm so happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete